[U-Boot] POST related question

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Wed Feb 10 16:54:11 CET 2010

Hi Michael,

> Working on the POST for our board (which I am going to submit
> to the u-boot in the near future) I was asked to output the POST tests
> sequence progress to the dedicated LEDs (current test’s index and
> test’s result – PASS or FAIL) in addition to the conventional console
> output. Such indication can be helpful at the customer premises when
> console is not available as well as at the production testing/diagnostics
> to understand which POST test has failed while serial console does not
> show signs of life.
> In order to fulfill this requirement I see two possibilities:
>
> 1) Common infrastructure change - add pre-test and after test callbacks
> to the post_test structure in the tests.c file. Call these callbacks
> before and after each POST test in the post_run_single routine of post.c file.
>
> 2) Local, board specific change – duplicate all necessary POST tests into
> specific board folder and add output to LEDs interface into every
> xxxx_post_test routine.
>
> Please advise.

Thinking about it, why can't we 3) introduce show_post_progress().  It
seems to me that the show_boot_progress (grep the README) implements
exactly the same idea for the boot process, so it would make sense to
re-use the implementation idea.  Nowadays we could solve the overrideing
with weak functions.

What do you think?

Cheers
  Detlev

--
It's very important  that you sleep because that's  when your brain is
garbage  collecting.  And a  dream is  if you  are interrupted  in the