[U-Boot] Boot based on I2C EEPROM value

Canchivaram, Srivatsan Srivatsan.Canchivaram at viasat.com
Thu Feb 18 00:59:10 CET 2010

Hello,

The modem I am working on contains two software images in flash memory:

1.	Default image
2.	Backup image

Typically, the Default image will get loaded. If the application
software determines that the Default image is causing issues, it will
set a value of 1 in an address in the I2C EEPROM and reboot the board.

So, U-boot will need to read this EEPROM value and determine whether it
should boot the Default or Backup image i.e.

if EEPROM data == 0

            bootm $default_addr

else

            bootm $backup_addr

How can I read and parse the EEPROM data from U-boot?

U-boot has the facility to read the I2C device from the command line as
in (EEPROM dev num = 50, address = 2, count = 1):

=> i2c md 50 2 1

0002: 01    .

How do I parse this from within a U-boot command that can be run at
boot-up?

Thank you,

Srivatsan