[U-Boot] Problem executing hello world as specified on wiki

Vipul Jain vipulsj at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 23:35:28 CET 2010

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for your kind guidance, I just want to rephrase my understanding as
your guidance.

1. The file that I want to build should be raw binary file like we have
u-boot.bin
2. Find out right address to load the binary file as per board.

Is this correct? If yes, I have a very limited knowledge of u-boot and hence
was wondering
if you could please help provide the right steps to follow.

I read the following document but it does not talk about compilation of the
program or  looking
at any specific linker file for the right address, but infact, about how
functions are exported to
standalone program.
1. doc/README.standalone

2. About building the raw binary file.
   To my understanding when you build the U-Boot the standalone apps gets
build as part of it. Hence
   I am not sure, how can I build the raw file for my ARM board. I could
only see 3 hello world related
   binaries that are getting build and I choose hello_world just because
after doing file hello_world* I
   could see hello_world file outputs some thing like
  file ../examples/standalone/hello_world*
../examples/standalone/hello_world:       ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM,
version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, not stripped
../examples/standalone/hello_world.bin:   SysEx File - Kawai
../examples/standalone/hello_world.c:     ASCII C program text
../examples/standalone/hello_world.o:     ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, ARM,
version 1 (SYSV), not stripped
../examples/standalone/hello_world.srec:  Motorola S-Record; binary data in
text format

and hence I believed its my target. I will be really very thankful if you
can help me in this learning of mine.

Please, suggest me documentation/files to look/ anything else that can help
me in getting hello world on
my ARM EDB9302 mother board.

Regards,
Vipul.