[U-Boot] Defer net initialization

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jun 1 12:46:03 CEST 2010

Dear Alexander Stein,

In message <201006011214.46804.alexander.stein at systec-electronic.com> you wrote:

> The problem was a defined CONFIG_RESET_PHY_R. Inside reset_phy
> > eth_init(gd->bd);
> is called which actually starts the hardwre resulting in timeouts as
> described. According to the comment above this line (seems to be copied to
> every at91 board implementation) this is only needed if linux has a NFS root
> which needs a preinitialized ethernet device.

I don't know this driver, but I smell that the comment might actually
be wrong or at least misleading - most likely no PHY reset is needed
here but a MAC address needs to be programmed into the controller -
which brings us back to the start of this discussion. [And note that
you still might need this when you want to use the ethernet interface
in Linux].

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
 The software required `Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.