[U-Boot] Rescue /alternative boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jun 9 09:41:25 CEST 2010

Dear Arno Steffen,

In message <AANLkTinq24UoL7n6J14urGQnxoJOQVpT2FvnJjRgqO-F at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > Why should "flashing of uboot-environment" fail? If you configure for
> > redundant environment, you should always at least have the previous
> > copy of the settings).
>
> Right, but what happens if user is doing something stupid?

Well, you can provide measures for a reset to a sane state, then.

> I don't have any connection to uboot at all, as in my final system
> there is no serial interface to change it back.

You could eventually use netconsole.

> If linux is not booting anymore I am lost, as this is my only known
> way to reflash uboot env, kernel, filesystem.

If just the environment is hosed, it would be sufficient to provide
some means to perform a "manufacturer reset" and restore the
environment to a known good state. You could - for example - act on
certain key presses / key combinations when the board is
reset/powered on. Several boards do that.

There has also been discussions for an extension to perform a reset of
the envrionment ("env default", if I remember correctly).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
 The software required `Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.