[U-Boot] Unable to mount Root File System , initramdisk or initramfs

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Wed Jun 9 14:08:10 CEST 2010

Hi Gurumurthy,

> I am using MIPS32 AU1350 processor board with 2MB of NOR Flash, I have
> programmed u-boot and Linux kernel in NOR Flash. U-boot is working
> able to boot linux kernel but not able to mount root filesystem from
> SDRAM.
>
> I tried both initramdisk and initramfs. please let me know more info
> about this.
>
> I have created uRamdisk and also passed boot arguments.
>
> Below is the error log. let me know whether I am missing something.

Well you really need to debug the Linux kernel and especially the
parameter passing from U-Boot to Linux on the MIPS architecture to find
out why the kernel does not find the ramdisk (i.e. check
do_bootm_linux() in arch/mips/lib/bootm.c).

On PowerPC we used to have registers r4 and r5 specifying the address
and length of the ramdisk which was set on calling Linux.  Maybe MIPS
needs something similar.  Becuase in recent U-Boot versions, the boot
code was completely rewritten, you should trace all activity of the
"bootm" U-Boot command before it calls the linux kernel in
do_bootm_linux() and ensure that the expectations of the Linux kernel
are met.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
Multiple exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.
                        -- Terry Pratchett