[U-Boot] Problems booting PPC with RAM root fs

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jun 10 20:54:20 CEST 2010

Dear Adam Moskowitz,

In message <20100610173438.GA25105 at cakewalk.menlo.com> you wrote:

> Here's my situation . . . We have a custom PPC-based board that
> currently boots from a kernel in the on-board flash and the root fs
> mounted via NFS. My project is to move the root fs into flash; to test
> that -- mainly to save time and write cycles on the flash -- I'm trying
> to do my debugging by pulling the root fs into RAM using TFTP then boot
> from that. of course, it's not working.
>
> Here's a summary of how I got this far: I created a file with dd,
> formatted it with mke2fs, mounted it (-o loop), copied in a known
> working root fs), unmounted, gzipped, then ran mkimage as follows:

Do you know the root file system builder RFSB? See
http://git.denx.de/?p=rfsb.git;a=summary

>     U-Boot 1.1.4 (May 20 2008 - 16:49:25)

This is a very old version. It does not have any device tree support.
Consider updating.

>     => setenv bootargs console=ttl0,19200,root=/dev/ram,load_ramdisk=1

You must not use commas to separate arguments; This should be

	setenv bootargs 'console=ttl0,19200 root=/dev/ram load_ramdisk=1'

Please RTFM!

> The system uncompresses and recognizes the kernel and the rootfs, but
> fails because for some reason, it's trying to load the root fs via NFS,
> even though I thought I told it not to do that.

You did not pass a root= argument - this was part of the console=
argument and ignored.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Death. Destruction. Disease. Horror. That's what war  is  all  about.
That's what makes it a thing to be avoided.
	-- Kirk, "A Taste of Armageddon", stardate 3193.0