[U-Boot] Is it possible to use 1GB or DDR on MPC8360 with e300 core?

remya pillai remya.pillai at dnsoftsol.com
Fri Jun 11 07:15:42 CEST 2010

Hi Kim

Thanks for the reply.

I would like to make my situation more clear to you.

CONFIG_SPD_EEPROM is defined in my board config file already. I could read
the following spd eeprom info also. From this, its clear that we have enough
hardware to provide 1GB memory.

*DIMM type:       JKCS38UKA 1GB
SPD size:        128
EEPROM size:     256
Memory type:     8
Row addr:        14
Column addr:     10
# of rows:       96
Row density:     1
# of banks:      8
Data width:      72
Chip width:      8
Refresh rate:    82
CAS latencies:   38
Write latencies: 04
tRP:             60
**tRCD:            60*

In mpc8360e , we have 8 BAT registers each has 256MB max size. I tried to
club 4 bat registers to get 1GB RAM space. But Its failing.

"board info" structure, which passes the u-boot parameters to linux kernel
has ram_size= 1GB. Also the DDRLAWBAR & DDRLAWAR registers are configured
for 1GB. But still I could transfer only 256MB to DRAM in the u-boot level.

Is it a u-boot limitation?  I am very new to u-boot &  kernel. So pls help
me out.

Regards
Remya

--