[U-Boot] Why data corrected by ecc are not rewrite to the flash?

Ivan Nardi nardi.ivan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 12:42:18 CEST 2010

Hello!

I'am having a look at the ecc algorithms in nand code and I observe (both in
kernel and in u-boot) that when ecc corrects some data, corrected data are
given to the user, but the data storage in the nand do not change. In other
words, I expected the flash would be written with the new (corrected) data.

Why data corrected by ecc are not rewrite to the flash?

I think that it should be easy achieve this goal. In the read function, if
ecc corrects some data on a page, I read the entire block, erase it and
write back (correct) data to the flash.

Nobody is interested in this feature? Or is it more difficult than I think?

Thanks a lot!