[U-Boot] handling of bad blocks in nand

Arno Steffen arno.steffen at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 25 12:18:25 CEST 2010

2010/6/24 Scott Wood <scottwood at freescale.com>:
> On 06/24/2010 01:28 AM, Arno Steffen wrote:
>>
>> does it mean in other words - I don't have to care for the bad block,
>> can write on the bad block address as it would be ok?
>
> You can't write directly to that block, but it can be included in a range of
> blocks as long as the range is large enough to hold the data blocks plus the
> bad blocks.

Mhh. Think we misunderstood each other.
Lets asume block with 0x10.0000 is bad.

I would guess from what you told me before that I could read/write to 0x10.0000.
Of course this is than internally redirected, but from uboot point of
view I hope to
can do

nand write 0x8000.0000 0x10.0000 1000

>> The only thing I have to care is, that I have leave enough space
>> between the partitions. As for instance : I need 10 blocks for a
>> certain filesystem, give it 12 ? So it could correct 2 bad blocks in
>> this range.
>
> Right.
>
> -Scott

@ Wolfgang:
Ubi is probably better, but I can't start everything from beginning
again. And this is a completly new topic for me.