[U-Boot] Updating YAFFS2 RootFS

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Jun 26 00:01:41 CEST 2010

Dear "David Andrey",

In message <1OS8pe-0000df-Uh at wolf.netmodule.com> you wrote:

> I'm looking to update the linux yaffs2 rootfs from U-Boot (2009-06). The
> whole update will be:

Are you positively sure you have to do this in U-Boot? Keep in mind
that U-Boot is a boot loader, so don't throw tasks on it that require
an operating system.

> *         Take the rootfs.tgz from the yaffs2 "image" partition (ok,
> with yrdm / ywrm) for update or restore purposes.

OK - but... what for?

> *         Unpack it (maybe gunzip)

Why? And: why in U-Boot?

> *         Update the Linux YAFFS2 RootFS (how ?)

Just write a new image to another, alternative partition.

> After a quick search (mail list, code) seems that:
>
> *         No native support for this operation in u-boot.

What exactly is "this operation" here, which you are missing support
for?

> *         Some "user" patch files exists  (out of date ?)

Which sort of patches are you referring to?

> *         Is the situation really like that ?

Sorry, I don;t undewrstand what exactly you mean by "the situation" ?

> *         Which is the actual patch file ?

What do you mean?

> *         What about the future for YAFFS2 in U-Boot ? Is there any
> update planned ?

YAFFS2 is supported in mainline U-Boot. What exactly do you think is
missing?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want  to
use it.