[U-Boot] Link problem with eTSEC2 on P2020RDB

Ben Warren biggerbadderben at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 07:22:25 CEST 2010

Hi Felix,

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 4:33 AM, Felix Radensky <felix at embedded-sol.com>wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> Peter Tyser seems to be OOO until Monday, so maybe you can comment on this
> problem,
> as it's network related.
>
> Peter's patch comes to fix a problem with ethernet not working on XES 8572
> board using
> BCM5482S PHY in SGMII mode.  On the other hand it breaks eTSEC2 on P2020RDB
> board using VSC8211 PHY in SGMII mode. On P2020RDB not only u-boot, but
> also
> Linux cannot use eTSEC2.

Do you have any suggestions how to make both boards happy ?

> I'm not familiar with how SGMII is configured on this controller, but it
appears that Peter's patch turned of Autonegotiation.  Why this would make a
PHY work and a switch not work is curious...  Maybe we should have a CONFIG
option for SGMII parameters.  Settings could default to the ones Peter set
(since he submitted it in November and problems are surfacing now), but
could be overriden.  Does that sound reasonable?  Something like:

#ifndef CONFIG TSEC_TBICR_SETTINGS

#define TBICR_SETTINGS ( \
                TBICR_PHY_RESET \
                | TBICR_FULL_DUPLEX \
                | TBICR_SPEED1_SET \
                )

#else

#define TBICR_SETTINGS CONFIG_TSEC_TBICR_SETTINGS

#endif

> Thanks.
>
> Felix.

If you put together a patch that does this and test it on your board, that
should be good enough.  Peter can try it out when he gets back.

regards,
Ben