[U-Boot] Can u-boot access Linux's mtd partition?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Mar 1 20:52:48 CET 2010

Dear Joe Culler,

In message <67a3f13e1003010713y432d5ee2y17a7962b15e89c9a at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> If I've already created some configuration files such as mac address
> in mtd2 partition.
> For example:
> 0x00000000-0x00040000 : "Bootloader"
> 0x00040000-0x02000000 : "User config"
>
> Does u-boot can access mtd2 partition and read the mac address from
> the configure file?

Yes, it can, but you're implementing this the wrong way round.
Normally the boot loader configured low level things like the MAC
address, and then passes this information on to Linux.

> If so, would anyone tell me how to do or what similar code can I refer
> to in u-boot? Thanks.

See for example the "mtdparts" command.

> If not, can u-boot read the mac address from the eeprom instead of set
> it manually?

You can implement anything- it's softwrae, and thus extremely
flexible. But don't expect to find any ready-to-use code for your own
proprietary data formats. You will have to adapt this yourself.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A father doesn't destroy his children.
	-- Lt. Carolyn Palamas, "Who Mourns for Adonais?",
	   stardate 3468.1.