[U-Boot] U-boot compilation for little endian

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 2 08:53:15 CET 2010

Dear Ronny D,

In message <143206.74847.qm at web46114.mail.sp1.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> I am using customized ppc440 based board. We need u-boot in little endian.
> Will it possible to compile the u-boot source in little endian for ppc440?

The natural byte order for the Power Architecture is Big Endian. We do
not support Littel Endian mode on Power.

I have to admit that I doubt if efforts to implement LE mode on
Power make any sense - as mentioned, BE is the natural byte order, and
usually it's much easier to explicitly convert date when accessing LE
devices as we're doing for example when accessing the PCI bus.

I recommend to reconsider your plans.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Unix: Some say the learning curve is steep,  but  you  only  have  to
climb it once.                                      - Karl Lehenbauer