[U-Boot] 8/16 bit support for NAND at runtime

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Mar 4 13:28:05 CET 2010

Dear Vipin KUMAR,

In message <4B8F8C3F.6050703 at st.com> you wrote:

> This query is wrt NAND 8/16 bit device support at runtime. Currently,
> the u-boot code can support only one of these at a time.

Yes, indeed. I have yet to see a piece of hardware which implements
both 8 and 16 bit interfaces on a single board. Hardware designers
often have funny ideas, but this seems to be too weird even for them
;-)

> Although it matches the buswidth selected through chip->options and the
> the buswidth of device id it reads and returns an error if they don't
> match, probably a better way can be to reinitialize NAND controller
> based on 16 bit device and re-read the device id.

Why would that be needed? Do you really expect to see both types of
interfaces on the same piece of hardware?

Otherwise you just have misconfigured your board, and fixing the
configuration should all that is needed to make the code work.  Or am
I missing something?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A little suffering is good for the soul.
	-- Kirk, "The Corbomite Maneuver", stardate 1514.0