[U-Boot] Two U-Boot versions on same device

Ian Jeffray ijeffray at a2etech.com
Fri Mar 5 13:45:27 CET 2010

On 05/03/2010 12:09, Rishi Dhupar wrote:
> Strange question but I am using an OMAP 3530 and the boot process currently
> is from TI's X-Loader to U-Boot to Linux.
>
> What I want is to have two different versions of U-Boot, an extremely
> optimized and small one (to reduce boot time) but then also a debug version
> that has a built in device test suite and allows updating of the Linux
> kernel.
>
> The optimized version would boot first and then check if a GPIO is set, if
> so then it would boot into the debug U-Boot to perform tests or software
> updates.
>
> Anyone do anything like this or is it even possible?

Certainly possible.  Fairly trivial.  Just put two builds in your flash
and ramload the larger one when required - just like when testing a new
version of U-Boot before committing to flash.

But is it really worth the hassle?  Is the network code really that
large, or startup time really significantly longer in your 'debug'
version?

I.