[U-Boot] What is CONFIG_HAS_DATAFLASH?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Mar 5 20:17:44 CET 2010

Dear Timur Tabi,

In message <ed82fe3e1003050915r6e677102mb47a448293e62067 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> Can someone tell me what CONFIG_HAS_DATAFLASH does?

I know this sounds like an act of darin, but how about having a look
at the README ?

[And I really wonder why you did not find the documentation there.]

> The reason I ask is that I'm trying to use
> CONFIG_CFI_FLASH_USE_WEAK_ACCESSORS, but I noticed that the "md"

Why would you want to do that? This is only needed in very special
situations which involve a state of hardware that can be best
described as broken.

> command does not use the flash_readX primitives when I ask it to
> display memory from a flash address.  In examining do_mem_md(), I
> noticed CONFIG_HAS_DATAFLASH.

Did you? I don't see any CONFIG_HAS_DATAFLASH anywhere in cmd_mem.c
And this is expected - the "md" command is, as the name suggests,
intended for Memory Dumps. "Memory" is defined as something that can
be read by just putting the address on the address bus and reading
the corresponding data from the data bus, without need for any
additional code or access protocols. On hardware where
CONFIG_CFI_FLASH_USE_WEAK_ACCESSORS is needed, you cannot really
apply the term "memory" to such a flash device - it is a storage
device, but not more.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Each honest calling, each walk of life, has its own  elite,  its  own
aristocracy based on excellence of performance. - James Bryant Conant