[U-Boot] MPC5200: possible to "reserve" embedded flash sectors ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Mar 11 17:15:54 CET 2010

Dear =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9?= Schwarz,

In message <1268321602.4803.24.camel at swa-m460> you wrote:

> is there any reasonable way to reserve some small flash sectors embedded
> inside U-Boot for other usage ?

Yes, of course there is. For example, in many board configurations we
use such small sectors for the environment (then called "embedded
environment").

> Example :
>
> 2 sectors @ 0-16k U-boot start including initial code @ reset vector.
> 1 sector @ 16k-24k e.g. environment.
> 2 sectors @ 24k-40k reserved (small linux mtd partitions).
> ? sectors @ 40k+ remaining U-Boot code.

This can easily be done.

> Back with U-Boot 1.1.4 I used the board's local u-boot.lds like this :

Right. The linker script is the pace that needs to be tweaked.

> The primary goal is to create a dedicated sector holding the auto/boot
> script being available through a nested mtd partition.

Well, I think there might be more efficient ways to acchieve this, but
YMMV.

Why are you asking? You wrote you have been doing this since 1.1.4, so
where exactly is your problem?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It all seemed, he thought, to be rather a lot of  trouble  to  go  to
just sharpen a razor blade.  - Terry Pratchett, _The Light Fantastic_