[U-Boot] Peripheral multiplexing in devices

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 16 15:34:28 CET 2010

Dear Vipin KUMAR,

In message <4B9F89B2.8040101 at st.com> you wrote:

> Now, we want to support this in sw in such a way that we have a single
> image for linux for all possible configurations. We intend to do this
> though bootloader (u-boot in this case)

This may be possible, but it is not wise, nor the officially supported
mode of operation in U-Boot.  Please see bullet 2 at
http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/DesignPrinciples#KeepFast  and related
entries - U-Boot is not supposed to initialize things it does not need
for it's own operation.

> SPEAr has an arm platform and linux-arm doesn't seem to support peripheral
> multiplexing in the way we want. Though, I could see some stuff fo that
> kind in ppc platform supported by u-boot to pass device information to
> linux

We use the device tree to do things like this.

> Do we have a similar way for arm based platforms as well or any other
> suggestions.

Please check out Grant Likely's work to bring the device tree to ARM
Linux.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It would seem that evil retreats when forcibly confronted
	-- Yarnek of Excalbia, "The Savage Curtain", stardate 5906.5