[U-Boot] serial init

Valentin Ecker valentin.ecker.dev at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 11:33:24 CET 2010

Hi!

I have some problems with understanding the serial initialization.
Maybe someone can help me out here...

In my case I want to use a second serial console on a DM365 davinci
dvevm which is provided on an external chip through EMIF. The use case
would be then to switch from the internal SoC serial (ns16550) to the
second external console and back during runtime.

So here is my question:

While board initialization, serial_init() gets called, which calls the
driver specific (hardware, etc...) init stuff. The default is that the
default serial (in my case the SoC ns16550 ) will be initialized. So
my extra serial port stays uninitialized because it's not default.

When i switch stdout/stdin/stderr to the second serial port during
runtime, serial_assign() gets called, but without calling serial_init
() of the second serial port first.

This confuses me, or am I misunderstanding the architecture / how
serial interfaces work in uboot?

Thanks for your help,
Valentin