[U-Boot] 8/16 bit support for NAND at runtime

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Mar 21 17:50:40 CET 2010

Dear Vipin KUMAR,

In message <4B908BC8.9030306 at st.com> you wrote:

> > Why would that be needed? Do you really expect to see both types of
> > interfaces on the same piece of hardware?
>
> Yes, that's precisely the case with Spear SoC. It has an FSMC controller
> embedded in it. FSMC can support 8 as well as 16 bit devices(off-course
> with different initializations) for different banks

The fact that it _can_ support different bus widths does not mean that
anybody would go on and use both at the same time on the same board.

Do you really have any proof that ther eexisits any piece of hardware
that has both an 8 bit and a 16 bit NAND flash on it?

> > Otherwise you just have misconfigured your board, and fixing the
> > configuration should all that is needed to make the code work.  Or am
> > I missing something?
>
> I could make the code work with both 8 as well as 16 bit devices. The
> only thing is that I have to make a few changes and rebuild the uboot
> for a particular interface

It seems to be no real problem to me when you have to reconfigure
U-Boot and build another image when switching to another piece of
hardware that is incompatible enough to use different bus widths.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Witch!  Witch!  They'll burn ya!
	-- Hag, "Tomorrow is Yesterday", stardate unknown