[U-Boot] uboot on microblaze, compilation error

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Mar 22 22:39:04 CET 2010

Dear Mike Frysinger,

In message <201003221729.07522.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:

> perhaps, but it doesnt make projects compile any better, and i'd be suspicious
> of how long it's actually going to take for that to become a reality.  gcc has
> behaved this way for years, and i dont see any sign of it changing (it hasnt
> even started issuing warnings).

And during these years, how many bug reports did you file?

It is people with your attitude who are to blame for this state.

Hey, this is community work. If you submit a patch and the respective
maintainer or somebody else rejects it for some reason or another,
what will you do? If you want to have this patch included you
negotiate and co-operate.

If a tool is broken what do you do? You give up and don't even attempt
to provide useful feedback.

There are tons of examples of really stupid developments all around
because people don't even attempt to fix the problems at the origin,
but rather accept it "gcc has always behaved like that".

Sorry for my uproariousness, but this really gets on my nerves.

> > Maybe we should do that?
>
> looks like we already do, and you added it for precisely this reason (Aug
> 2009).  i guess the OP is using an older version of u-boot which is why it's
> still a problem for him ?

Yes, that's what I guess, too.

> kind of makes this whole thread pointless noise ... sorry about that

Me too.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Disobedience:  The silver lining to the cloud of servitude.
- Ambrose Bierce