[U-Boot] Can physical flash initramfs cpio address be given to bootm?

Brian Hutchinson b.hutchman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 00:19:17 CET 2010

Hi Wolfgang,

I applied Ilya's ARM initramfs outside physical RAM patch and it
appears to work.  It still displays the warning of disabling the
initrd due to the image being outside physical RAM (I can fix that :)
).

I took the cpio.gz I had and did the following mkimage to it:

mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x0 -e 0x0 -n
uInitramfs_busybox -d /home/hutch/initramfs_data.cpio.gz
uInitramfs_busybox

Flashed this image to the filesystem mtd and edited u-boot vars to:

bootm <physical flash location of kernel> <physical flash location of
initramfs.cpio.gz>

This loads the ARM kernel, loads the initramfs image and then starts
the kernel.  There is a pretty long pause but it worked.

Is this still the right way to go about loading the newer initramfs
type images from flash?  I know it is how things were done with the
older ext2 way of doing ramdisks.

Will the initramfs be loaded to address 0 in RAM (the -a and -e
addresses) and then the kernel relocate it yet again?

Regards,

Brian