[U-Boot] Design principles

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Mar 26 19:21:03 CET 2010

Dear Detlev Zundel,

In message <m27hozgrrn.fsf at ohwell.denx.de> you wrote:

> > I was referring to this part of Heikos mail:
> >
> >> While writing this, and realizing that this behaviour is a feature,
> >> maybe this problem occur on other network drivers on arm plattforms
> >> too ... hah, found one:
> >>
> >> drivers/net/kirkwood_egiga.c
> >>
> >> did it in the same way as drivers/net/fec_mxc.c ... Ok, it is
> >> in line with uboot standard, but arm plattforms which booting
> >> linux without doing network trafic under uboot tend to have
> >> different mac addresses ...
> >>
> >> This should be solved!
> >
> > The "Please include in your fix" means that the same bug fix as
> > implemented for the fec_mxc driver should also be applied to the
> > kirkwood_egiga driver - I see no sense in knowing the same bug is in
> > two files and fixing it in just one.
>
> We are drifing apart even more.  I do not say that I grasp every part of
> the kirkwood_egiga driver, but for me it seems like it only reads
> the ethaddr environment addresses which I fail to see why it does that.

I think it does so to initialize the envrionment with a (semi-) random
private MAC address if none is set.

> What I cannot see is that it programs the mac address in any way.  So
> what exactly is the bug you are referring to here and how do you "support
> a pragmatic fix"?

I did not look at that driver until now. It was Heiko who said that
"this problem occur on other network drivers" and lists
kirkwood_egiga as an example.

My request was to apply the fix that Heiko submitted for fec_mxc.c to
all other drivers as well that have the sam problem (as far as we
know about these, of course). So if kirkwood_egiga is clean (in this
respect), there is no need to change it.

I only want to make sure that "this problem occur on other network
drivers" does not slip through, but that any such drivers we know
about gt fixed as well.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
In general, if you think something isn't in Perl, try it out, because
it usually is :-) - Larry Wall in <1991Jul31.174523.9447 at netlabs.com>