[U-Boot] Booting from ext2/ext3

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 31 13:59:12 CEST 2010

Dear "Dunda, Matthias",

In message <569685F045B85741820D0265E0D2999D019CFE52 at tddhh01.hh.thales-naval.de> you wrote:

> As I see, u-boot can load the kernel from an ext2 file system using
> ext2load.
>
> Unfortunately, this command is not included in my build of u-boot. Did I
> miss some compile-switch, or do I have to explicitly include ext2fs.h
> somewhere? How can I enable the ext2/ext3 functionality?

This depends on CONFIG_CMD_EXT2

> Another related question is, if I can format an ext2/ext3 drive from u-boot
> or how I can bring up a new image to my internal device, once u-boot is
> running.

You cannot. U-Boot supports only read-only accesses to the file
systems. You can load and write complete images to flash, but you
cannot use U-Boot to "mkfs" or to write individual files.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
No question is too silly to ask. Of course, some  questions  are  too
silly to to answer...  - L. Wall & R. L. Schwartz, _Programming Perl_