[U-Boot] change root password

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Tue May 4 17:03:34 CEST 2010

Hi Nuno,

> How can I change root password??
>
> I try this:
>
> 1) stop u-boot and add "init=/bin/sh" to the bootargs variable;
> 2) boot
> 3) passwd -d root (inside shell)
>

> but this doesn't work!!!! When I reboot the machine, I cannot login with a
> new password.

There really is no need to shout.

What do you mean with "new password"?  The -d has deleted the password,
so you should use no password at all.  On the other hand, the "root"
user not having any password may be forbidden by the rest of the
filesystem, so I would rather try to use "passwd root" and set a known
password and try again.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
The success of PCs is in large part due to the fact that, by making all
hardware equivalent, good software enabled bad hardware. (Ugly)