[U-Boot] change root password

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu May 6 11:29:07 CEST 2010

Dear Nuno Cardoso,

In message <x2j3cf2debb1005060055w943eecd4t9a87659b0badf2e at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> When I change the root password I'm using the command that you specify
> "passwd root" and enter a new password. After that, I execute the "exec
> init" command in U-Boot shell to boot all the linux system. At login, I put
> the new password, but I cannot log!!!!!
>
> After a restart, I stop the u-boot process to start shell (init=/bin/sh) and
> cat the /etc/shadow file, and the root password doesn't change (is the old).
> What I'm doing wrong?

Probably you are missing a step to write the changes to the password
data back to some persistent storage; when re-booting, you are
re-loading the old, unmodified data.

We don't know your system and it's file system layout. We don't know
if it provides any form of persistent, changable storage for these
data, and where.

When booting with init=/bin/sh the whole system is at your hands -
explore it and find out.

Eventually the data is in a read-only file system and cannot be
changed at all - then you can try to upload the file system image,
undpack it, modify it, repack it and install it on your target. Of
course there is a chance that you brick the system that way, so you
better know exactly what you are doing.

We do not know your systeme. We CANNOT help you.
And all this is off topic here.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"There was no difference between  the  behavior  of  a  god  and  the
operations of pure chance..."   - Thomas Pynchon, _Gravity's Rainbow_