[U-Boot] [RESEND:PATCH-V4] OMAP3EVM: Added NAND support

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu May 6 13:03:24 CEST 2010

Dear Nishanth Menon,

In message <j2h782515bb1005060354tc4574d80wb4a1aa3a2b40bc89 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> your points are valid, two options as I see here:
> a) build configurations - nand_boot, nor_boot etc..
> b) IMHO, the better solution would be to allow the same u-boot to boot
> from all devices (nand, nor, onenand, mmc) without needing a rebuild.

b) is clearly the better and more user-friendly solution.

> but the neccessity for that is to have environment variable which can
> be moved around.. ...

Hm... really? Assuming that all the storage devices are always
present, you can decide to use one standard location for the
environment independent of where the U-Boot image gets loaded from
(that may actually be considered an advantage by some).

>               ... TI has an implementation based on an ancient u-boot
> which actually does this, it will be interesting to know if there are
> others who may be interested in a similar feature in mainline u-boot.

Sure - please post a patch (as RFC) so we can see what you have in
mind.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Always leave room to add an explanation if it doesn't work out.