[U-Boot] libfdt: make fdt_increase_size() available to everyone

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu May 20 10:28:12 CEST 2010

Dear Timur Tabi,

In message <4BF4623B.1080109 at freescale.com> you wrote:

> > Why would this in any way be a board specific implementation? This
> > makes no sense to me. The feature to include some binary data into the
> > DTB is IMO in no way dependent on or specific to a certain board.
>
> The data I'm trying to embed is firmware for various devices on some of our
> SOCs, such as the QE on the MPC8360.  Only boards with SOCs that have these
> devices come with firmware, and not all of them require the firmware to be
> passed to Linux.

Yes, I know all of this. This is your specific use case. But maybe you
can take the blinkers off for a moment, and face up to other potential
use cases as well?

User A might want to ambed a FPGA bit stream, user B something we
don't even dream of yet.

Instead of implementing this feature in a way that makes it restricted
to your current use case only we can as well make it generic enough so
others can use it as well.

> Please note that fdt_increase_size() is just a front-end to fdt_open_into(),
> so technically I don't need to fdt_increase_size().  However, you said you
> would reject any patch that uses fdt_open_into() in this manner, so we're
> back to square one.

Back to square one? I did not realize you ever left that position ;-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Do not simplify the design of a program if a way can be found to make
it complex and wonderful.