[U-Boot] Debugging u-boot with bdi3000 basics

Mark Fanara mark.fanara at gmail.com
Wed May 26 19:07:10 CEST 2010

I have read section 10 of the manual which describes debugging u-boot
and have further questions.

1) In section 10.4, Tips and Tricks, it says "To prevent GDB from
jumping around in the code when trying to single step, i. e. when it
seems as if the code is not executing line by line, you can recompile
your code with the following additional compiler options:
"-fno-schedule-insns -fno-schedule-insns"

In the u-boot developer world, what is the best practice for adding
these compiler options? I see CFLAGS in config.mk and assume that is
what needs to be modified. However, I need a HOWTODOITRIGHT

2) I am using a bdi3000. Is there no way to build u-boot so that it is
directly loaded to RAM by the debugger and does not relocate itself?

3) The function board_init_f() in board.c makes calls to debug(). I
cannot determine how to enable debug() output. I saw one reference in
the manual, but it gave no specifics.

Thanks,
Mark