[U-Boot] libfdt: make fdt_increase_size() available to everyone

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed May 26 21:14:49 CEST 2010

Dear Timur Tabi,

In message <4BFD6704.2040800 at freescale.com> you wrote:

> We have something like that already:
>
> #ifndef CONFIG_SYS_FDT_PAD
> #define CONFIG_SYS_FDT_PAD 0x3000
> #endif
>
> And Wolfgang doesn't like it.

Because nobody can explain where this magic number 0x3000 is coming
from or why it is supposed to be sufficient.

> I was going to do this in my board header file:
>
> #define CONFIG_SYS_MAX_QE_FW_SIZE	0x4000

And I rejected this because it is pecific to just one use case (QE
support) while I want a generic solution. Also, compile time size
limits are always a bad thing if we can have run-time computed limits
instead.

> Are you suggesting that we implement some user interface where the user, on
> the command line, can specify any number and type of firmware binaries to
> get embedded in the device tree?

No. Such information should be part of the firmware image itself.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Documentation is the castor oil of programming.
Managers know it must be good because the programmers hate it so much.