[U-Boot] changes to U-boot and GPL

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Fri May 28 22:26:43 CEST 2010

On Friday 28 May 2010 13:50:57 Mangelschots, Jef wrote:
> We are getting confused when reading the GPL and interpreting how it
> applies to our situation.

then you should hire a lawyer to interpret it for you.  legal advice cannot be
obtained from mailing lists such as this.  the only thing you can get is
random people's opinions.  so here is mine ;p.

> Do we need to submit our changes to the U-boot maintainers for inclusion in
> the mainline distribution code ?

this is never a requirement of the GPL for any project out there

> We understand the philosophy of GPL to give our customers the source code
> so they have the ability to inspect, modify and outsource And
> customization without being dependent on us.
>
> In that light we have no problem in either providing our customers with the
> full source code upon their request OR simply load the full source code in
> the file system of the box it is shipped with. So if a customer wants the
> code, they can load it of the box they bought from us.

and those customers are free to take that source code and release it onto the
internet.  so your original concerns seem kind of moot.
-mike