[U-Boot] Add video support for mx51evk

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Tue Nov 2 17:01:59 CET 2010

On 11/02/2010 02:34 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

>> Because each board uses a different LCD with a different resolution, and
>> this requires a different amount of memory. This is not different as we
>> see in Linux, because the framebuffer properties are set in the board
>> file before to be passed to the framebuffer driver.
>
> Well, if _that_ was what we are using, the memory requirements were
> fixed, and we could use compile-time constants.

I was not complete: a single board can be connected to several LCDs, of
course not at the same type. The decision which LCD must be used should
be taken baing on an environment variable.

> But what you discussed before was the option to _switch_ resolutions,
> so there has to be a way to select the cosen resolution (in an
> environment variable?),

Yes, this is what I meant....

> and then this setting is used for the memory
> calculations.

Correct.

> And then the calculation depends only on the current setting - which
> is _not_ board dependent.

Yes, calculation is not board dependent and must remain in lcd_setmem().
What I meant as "board dependent" is really the LCD settings, in terms
of display resolution and bits x pixel. The proposed wek function can
set the panel_info structure, that lcd_setmem() uses for computation.

> Boards would start with a (board dependent) default setting, though.

Yes. What we need is a way to get the board default setting to allow
lcd_setmem() to compute the required memory.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de