[U-Boot] Weak symbols: request for comments

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Nov 5 13:14:07 CET 2010

Dear Sebastien Carlier,

In message <4CD3DEFC.7010104 at gmail.com> you wrote:

> 1.1) Stop using weak symbols; use pre-initialized function pointers
>       instead (possibly grouped in a struct, for cleanliness).
>       This has the benefit of offering a clear interface and being
>       independent of toolchain details.

And where would the "pre-initialized function pointers" come from?
Without adding a hell of #ifdef's ?

> 1.2) Use regular (non-weak) extern declarations for overridable stuff;
>       collect all default weak symbols into a separate library archive,
>       to be supplied last to the linker.

Not realy practicable, as the code is distributed all over the place,
and should remain where it logically belongs.

> 1.3) Stop using a library archive for the board specific stuff.
>       Instead, collect and link all the object files to produce the
>       output binary.  Only Makefile changes are involved, but correct
>       behavior depends on all boards doing the right thing.

Close. I think stop using a library archives and do what Linux does
instead is the way to go.

> 1.4) Link u-boot into a board-agnostic dynamic library, link the
>       board-specific stuff into an executable embedding a dynamic
>       linker, and package all this stuff somehow.

Sounds pretty much complicated.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Chapter 1 -- The story so  far:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has  made  a  lot  of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.