[U-Boot] nand spl build with wrong CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Wed Nov 10 23:22:26 CET 2010

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 22:28:29 +0100
Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:

> Well, see above.  You are argumenting from a low-level, implementation
> point of view.  For the end user this is not transparent at all.  He
> just runs a single "make foo_config" and a single "make all".  The end
> user sees and thinks of just a single configuration and a single build
> he is running.

Well, from the user's perspective hopefully they just build it and it
all works. :-)

I think this is a question of internals.

> > Parallel builds should work fine.  It would be a separate autoconf.mk
> > file somewhere under nand_spl, not rewriting the same file multiple
> > times during the build process.
>
> Oh... this is another thing I did not grasp yet.  But then, how would
> it become active for "common" code parts?

Anything in the top-level makefile would get the main u-boot image's
config.  Common parts such as config.mk operate in the context they're
included into -- they're already separately included into the SPL
makefile.

It looks like there are a few uses of CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE in the
toplevel makefile for constructing things like u-boot.img.  We don't do
that for NAND; if we wanted to, and had a separate autoconf.mk, we'd
want to move the final u-boot-nand image assembly into the SPL makefile.

-Scott