[U-Boot] [WIP] tools/env: cleanup host build flags

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Wed Nov 10 23:51:51 CET 2010

On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 17:25:31 Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > IIRC, HOSTCC refers to the C compiler on the and for the build host,
> > > i. e. when running on a x86 system it will create x86 code.  This is
> > > obviously wrong when we try to build fw_printenv for, say, a PPC4xx
> > > system.
> >
> > and it is trivial for the user to say "i wish to build tools for PPC4xx
> > userland"
>
> Is it? And how so?

i already said multiple times how to do it:
	make tools env HOSTCC=bfin-uclinux-gcc

and that works for *all* tools instead of just some

> And why would this not be the default setting, then?

i already said why it doesnt make sense to assume "one toolchain fits all" and
why that requirement is fundamentally wrong.  Daniel already suggested a
refinement to better control intentions which isnt fundamentally broken.
-mike