[U-Boot] New to U-boot development, adding Octeon support

Aaron Williams Aaron.Williams at caviumnetworks.com
Fri Nov 12 22:45:22 CET 2010

Hi,

I am rather new to U-boot development and will be working on migrating the
current Cavium Octeon U-boot code to a much more up to date version but I
first have some questions.

My goal is to be able to hopefully submit the changes back into the main U-
boot tree and do this as cleanly as possible.

One of the first things I came across is that we need some significant
changes to some of the MIPS specific libraries and start-up code. Should I
just create separate files under arch/mips/xxx or should I create
subdirectories for the Octeon platform like how it's done for the PowerPC?
These changes would be global across the Octeon and not board specific. A
number of the changes are required for handling multiple cores.

Down the road we would also like to add our own replacements to some of the
functions provided by U-boot to speed it up on our platform, for example
taking advantage of the hardware CRC and decompression features.

Also, what would be a good stable starting version to work from?

-Thanks.

-Aaron Williams