[U-Boot] Commit ecee9... (Program net device MAC addresses after initializing) breakage

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 02:51:12 CET 2010

On 13/11/10 12:11, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Friday, November 12, 2010 05:55:55 Graeme Russ wrote:
>>>
>>> i dont think anyone posted a patch.  it would make sense though to
>>> generalize the zalloc() code since some places are already doing it.
>>
>> Actually, I think we should be using calloc() more than we are
>
> if we want to define zalloc() to calloc(), then sure.  but forcing people to
> use calloc() with a size=1 is silly.  the API is not nearly as obvious to
> passing observers as zalloc().

Hmm, U-Boot has a zalloc in lib/gunzip.c which does not zero memory

void *zalloc(void *x, unsigned items, unsigned size)
{
	void *p;

	size *= items;
	size = (size + ZALLOC_ALIGNMENT - 1) & ~(ZALLOC_ALIGNMENT - 1);

	p = malloc (size);

	return (p);
}

and mtd has kzalloc defined thus:

#define kzalloc(size, flags)	calloc(size, 1)

So there is some confusion surrounding 'zalloc' anyway ;)

Regards,

Graeme