[U-Boot] omap3 i2c issues

Murali K. Vemuri vemuri.muralikrishna at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 09:21:15 CET 2010

Hi There,

I am using a omap3 based board and U-Boot version 03.00.02.07.
when I do "i2c probe", this results in : 38  3C  3D  3F.

I found that Kernel TWL is dumping messages to 48  49  4A & 4B.

I tried the the same on the "reference board and the corresponding
u-boot" supplied from Mistral , when I type "iprobe", I get the
output: 48 49 4A 4B.

I further verified that on my board, if I do "i2c mw 0x3C 0 0x34 0x10"
I am able to write into I2C and "i2c md 0x3C 0 0x10" I am able to read
back . This however, works only on 0x3c. "mw" & "md" are working on
0x3c only. 38, 3d & 3f are returning error.

I could not understand what is missing here? How come my board U-boot
is getting a chip id different?
is there a setting that I can do? my Hardware engineer says the OMAP3
connections are same between our board and evm board.

ideally my question boils down to: how can I get the device ids
correctly (or is it possible to change them)?

Thanks & regards
Murali