[U-Boot] [RAM MEMORY] Hardware Replacement.

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Wed Nov 17 13:35:34 CET 2010

Hi Rodolfo,

please don't hijack unrelated threads.

> I'm upgrading my hardware RAM, but I found a problem.
> After replacing the RAM MT48LC32M4A2 by IS42S16800E the following message
> appeared:
> Memory (date line) error at 00000000, wrote aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, read
> 89abcdef89abc def!
>
> Does anyone know what problem is this?

Yes and you should too - code tried to write a specific pattern to
memory and it read back something different.  Now as you did not tell us
anything about your board or even what software you are using, you
should start trying to come up with an explanation yourself for this
behaviour.

> I looked at the two memories and ram it are similar.

"The chips are similar but the old software does not work anymore" is
one of the most often occurring "bug reports".  I wonder when people
realize that "similar" hardware is simply _not_ expected to work with
_identical_ software.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
``The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10,
with more expected.''     Unix Programmers Manual -- 1972