[U-Boot] fw_setenv broken?

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Wed Nov 17 17:56:11 CET 2010

On 11/17/2010 05:30 PM, Steve Sakoman wrote:
> I'm seeing some strange behavior with the fw_setenv tools on OMAP.
>
> Here's what I see when using the tools on OMAP (overo in this case):
>
> 1. fw_printenv prints the environment with no issues [1]
> 2. fw_setenv allows me to change a variable with no reported errors [2]
> 3. fw_printenv will print the changed environment, however the variables
> are not sorted [3]

I tested yesterday on a davinci board, I can confirm this behavior, I
have not thought was an error. I do not see any code in fw_env.c to sort
variables. I konow the variables are sorted in u-boot, but do we ever
have this feature on the userland fw_printenv ?

> 4. Since all seems well at this point, I reboot.  There is an error
> reading the new environment [4]

I cannot confirm that. I made the same test, environment is stored on a
SPI flash. No CRC error, the environment was restored correctly after a
reset and/or power cycle.

> I added debug printf's to readenv() in env_nand.c and the root cause is
> an error return from ret=nand_read(&nand_info[0], offset, &len,
> char_ptr)).  I get an error code of -74
>
> Before I spend too much time on this I wanted to check to see if others
> are seeing this issue, or whether it might be OMAP specific.

At least this should not be a general failure, because it works on my
target. It could be also nand specific.

Best regards,
Stefano

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de