[U-Boot] Porting to custom board with a PXA270

Attila Sukosd attila.sukosd at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 17:08:53 CET 2010

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:

> Dear Attila Sukosd,
>
> In message <AANLkTikDfFa4VZ3uo=vfht7-ZinpiBT=CqmvVzuUrjGU at mail.gmail.com>
> you wrote:

> > Reserving 264k for malloc() at: a0f43000
> > Reserving 24 Bytes for Board Info at: a0f42fe8
> > Reserving 92 Bytes for Global Data at: a0f42f8c
> > New Stack Pointer is: a0f42f88
> > RAM Configuration:
> > Bank #0: a0000000 16 MiB
> > relocation Offset is: a0f85000
> > monitor flash len: 0002CEFC
> > Now running in RAM - U-Boot at: a0f85000
> > Using default environment
> >
> > himport_r: can't malloc 72 bytes, ret = (null)
> > ERROR: Me sad :( Environment import failed: errno = -1 ret: -2
> > As far as I can tell, the bootloader successfully relocates itself into
> RAM
> > but fails to allocate 72bytes for the environment.
>
> Please keep in mind that computers are dumb. Yes, they really are
> (hope none of them listens in right now).
>
> When they tell you "I cannot to that" they usually really mean it. So
> the best thing in such a situation is to ask them (or, if they don't
> answer, ask yourself): "Why cannot you do that?"
>
> In the case of a failing malloc() the first thing that comes to my
> mind is: well, maybe all available memory has been used up.
>
> So why don't you simply try and provide more (for a test, much more)
> room for malloc? Try, for example, setting CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_LEN to
> "(1024 * 1024)" or such?
>
> IIRC I told you the same on IRC already, but you failed to comment...
>
> Hi,

Thanks for your fast reply. I have indeed tried that too, 128kbytes,
256kbytes, 512kbytes and 1MB for malloc, with the same issue.

Additionally, I failed to mention another issue in my previous email, which
is, I seem to be getting random behaviours from the board depending on what
I modify in the code.

For example, if I add one extra debug() or puts() line under another, flash
the new version on the board, the board fails to boot, and I don't see any
output on the serial.

Other times, I see some output on the serial, but fails to relocate to RAM.
(Note: I do not change anything other than adding one extra puts line, so
all configurations stay the same)

This uncertainty worries me a bit as I do not see a clear reason on why this
would be happening...

Rgrds,

Attila