[U-Boot] Build failures with older toolchain

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Mon Nov 22 15:31:39 CET 2010

Le 22/11/2010 14:50, Premi, Sanjeev a écrit :
> Tried the same stuff for overo and no issues!
>
> Since there linker scripts are same between omap3_evm, omap3_beagle
> and omap3_overo, only difference could have been board specific code.
>
> I was hoping to find some code that might be offending the linker;
> unable to find by inspection, I reduced the default configuration
> for the evm to as low as I could - still see:
>
> arm-none-linux-gnueabi-ld: section .bss [800fe358 ->  800fee1b] overlaps section .rel.dyn [800fe358 ->  8010076f]
> arm-none-linux-gnueabi-ld: u-boot: section .bss vma 0x800fe358 overlaps previous sections
>
> I am still not sure why the start of .bss and .rel.dyn for omap3_evm start at same address

That is because they are voluntarily overlapped. This looks like the
patch I recently did, which in essence does overlap BSS (which is not
used before relocation) and relocation tables (which are not used after
relocation) so that the FLASH and RAM footprint remain minimal.

This should not result in a linker message unless the .lds does not
follow the same structure (order and attributes of output sections) as,
for instance, the arm926ejs u-boot.lds.

> but
>
> Looking for more pointers!
> Specifically, a "big" generic change that somehow didn't touch the omap3evm; but did touch others.
> ....will start looking at the git-log immediately after this mail.
>
> ~sanjeev

Look up the u-boot.lds files. Are they shared?

Amicalement,
--
Albert.