[U-Boot] ppc44x - watchdog timers reboots during the image loading

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Fri Oct 1 16:45:42 CEST 2010

On Friday 01 October 2010 16:37:55 ame wrote:
> > void reset_4xx_watchdog(void)
> > {
> >
> > 	/*
> >
> > 	 * Clear TSR(WIS) bit
> > 	 */
> >
> > 	mtspr(SPRN_TSR, 0x40000000);
> >
> > }
> >
> > Definitely upper-case here.
>
> Ok, confirmed the new one has it in there.   sorry about that.  The logic
> is the same as the one that is in the old code though.

Sure.

> > > Any thoughts or help are appreciated.  I did notice the comments in
> > > cpu-init.c that my tcr is setup with 0xF0000000, I *think* this is
> > > actually 10s on a 800MHz board.  Not sure where the 2.684 numbers
> > > originates as stated in the comments. I also changed the acknowledge of
> > > the watchdog to the following, though neither my changes nor the
> > > original have any effect.  I've also verified that the code is getting
> > > included and built.   Not sure what to try next.
> >
> > Note that you need to enable the watchdog support in the Linux kernel as
> > well. Otherwise Linux will of course reset once the watchdog timer times
> > out. Did you enable the book-e watchdog timer in Linux?
>
> Yes, that is enabled.  But from the looks of the boot trace up above, am I
> correct in saying that it never even made it to Linux?  Isn't u-boot still
> in control at the point that it loads the ramdisk into ram?

Sure, while loading/copying the ramdisk control is still under U-Boot. But
from your first email I read:

> The last message
> I see is ...
>
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
>
> ## Flattened Device Tree blob at ff3e0000
>
>    Booting using the fdt blob at 0xff3e0000
>    Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK

So the ramdisk is already copied. Or do I miss something here? Please check
the code (add some printf's etc) to see if you are still in U-Boot or not.

Cheers,
Stefan

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-0 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: office at denx.de