[U-Boot] ARM relocation, question to Heiko

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Oct 3 20:29:42 CEST 2010

Dear Reinhard Meyer,

In message <4CA79896.2010606 at emk-elektronik.de> you wrote:

> I agree here. _If_ relocation, it should work without hand-adding
> fixup stuff to all functions using initialized data with pointers.
> Even Wolfgang forgot to fixup his 2nd level command table in
> cmd_nvedit.c ;)

I didn't forget it - at least not in the sensse that I think this is
something that needs to be done.

This works fine on PPC with relocation, and we should make it work
the same on other arches.

> And, for space concerns in flash, relocation should always be an
> option on a board by board basis...

NAK.

> And as an idea, if position independent code is used, only pointers
> in initialized data need adjustment. Cannot the linker emit a table
> of addresses that need fixing?

It does. That's the GOT.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I thought my people would grow tired of killing. But you were  right,
they  see it is easier than trading. And it has its pleasures. I feel
it myself. Like the hunt, but with richer rewards.
	-- Apella, "A Private Little War", stardate 4211.8