[U-Boot] ARM relocation, question to Heiko

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Oct 3 20:45:54 CEST 2010

Dear Albert ARIBAUD,

In message <4CA8CCC1.2010309 at free.fr> you wrote:

> > Well, please keep in mind that all this code is working find on
> > PowerPC, which has been using relocation right from the beginning.
>
> I don't mean to say that PPC relocation does not work;  I mean to say
> that a mechanism intended for one architecture may not be the optimal
> one for another, and if two mechanisms exist which provide relocation
> and one of them does not require specific tricks in the code, then I
> would choose this one.

Agreed. But then, I did not mean to suggest that the situaltion on PPC
was perfect. If you find something that works even better for AMR,
then we should try and get the same improvment for PPC (and other
arches) as well.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Program maintenance is an entropy-increasing process,  and  even  its
most skilfull execution only delays the subsidence of the system into
unfixable obsolescence.       - Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man Month"