[U-Boot] ARM relocation, question to Heiko

J. William Campbell jwilliamcampbell at comcast.net
Sun Oct 3 20:54:39 CEST 2010

  On 10/3/2010 11:14 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear "J. William Campbell",

>>> This pointer problem is solved with the fixup relocs on ppc and
>>> should work without manual relocation. I think this is a ppc
>>> only extension but I might be wrong.
>>         You are correct that this is a ppc only extension. As such, it is
>> not a good candidate for "general" use.
> On contrary.
>
> If it works for PPC, then there should be ways to do the same on other
> architectures.

Well, maybe so, but GCC won't do it now, and there has been no move by
other architectures to adopt this capability. I suspect that it is
extremely unlikley that this capability will ever be ported to other
architectures since it has been available for so long on PPC without any
movement to other systems.

>> Using the full relocation scheme eliminates the need for all these
>> "fixups" in u-boot C code. I think this is a very desirable result.
>> It is also not clear to me that hard coding in the relocation as several
>> C routines will produce a  u-boot that is "smaller" than the one
>> produced by using normal ELF relocation. However, using full relocation
>> creates an environment that is true "C" and does not rely on people
>> remembering that they may have to fix up some parts of their code. It is
>> hard to see much downside in using the full relocation capability
>> provided by Graeme's code.
> Agreed. But if we take this path, we need to find an implementation
> that looks clean and readable.
Agreed. This should be possible to do now that there is a better
understanding of the ELF format by the u-boot community. Perhaps the
place to start would be trying to port what Graeme has done to ARM or
perhaps better yet, PPC. Since lots of people on this list are PPC
folks, we should have a lot of leverage there.

Best Regards,
Bill Campbell