[U-Boot] ppc44x - watchdog timers reboots during the image loading

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Mon Oct 4 10:49:09 CEST 2010

Hi ame,

On Friday 01 October 2010 17:36:39 ame wrote:
> > Ok, confirmed the new one has it in there.   sorry about that.  The logic
> > is the same as the one that is in the old code though.
>
> Well, ok, kind of.  cpu.c is correct, cpu_init.c that actually sets up the
> watchdog timer is not though.  It still has the lower case register names.
>
> #if defined(CONFIG_WATCHDOG)
>         val = mfspr(tcr);
> 	mtspr(tcr, val);
>
>         val = mfspr(tsr);
>         val |= 0x80000000;      /* enable watchdog timer */
>         mtspr(tsr, val);
> #endif /* CONFIG_WATCHDOG */

Ah, correct. I missed those. I'll fix it soon. Thanks for pointing out.

> I've added some prints and turned on debug and find that it makes it all
> the way to the jump to the kernel.  So it must be an issue with the setup
> or config of the kernel.  Does the device tree require any changes to work
> with the watchdog?  Thanks for your help.

Depends on the watchdog device driver. The Book-E driver doesn't seem to need
anything here, AFAIK. I suggest you enable the debug early-printk feature
and/or look the __log_buf to see how far Linux really comes. This is not U-
Boot realted any more though. So further questions/mails should be moved to
linuxppc-dev.

Cheers,
Stefan

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-0 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: office at denx.de