[U-Boot] ARM relocation, question to Heiko

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Mon Oct 4 11:10:06 CEST 2010

Le 04/10/2010 10:52, Joakim Tjernlund a écrit :
> Albert ARIBAUD<albert.aribaud at free.fr>  wrote on 2010/10/04 10:33:05:

>>> hmm, maybe my memory fails me but doesn't these relocs change the
>>> code to relocate accesses? While in flash you can't do that.
>>> Perhaps this is fixable too with the LINK_OFF method I impl.
>>> but memory fails me as it was quite some time ago.
>>>
>>>      Jocke
>>
>> Actually the principle is to link with TEXT_BASE equal to the NOR FLASH
>> location of the image [1] so that relocation is not needed there. Only
>> when you move the code to RAM do you need relocation.
>
> Yes, that is there today. I am talking about linking to any TEXT_BASE(say 0)
> but burn and run into another address. I impl. this quite some time
> ago for PPC(search for LINK_OFF)

I am ultimately looking for same here on ARM.

Note however that linking for base address 0 is not mandatory for
achieving true position independence. What is required is that the code
which runs from power-up until relocation be able to run anywhere, i.e.,
this code should not require any relocation fixup. That can be achieved
on ARM by using only relative branches and accessing data only relative
to pc (e.g. literals) or truly absolute (e.g. HW registers etc).

Amicalement,
--
Albert.