[U-Boot] ARM relocation, question to Heiko

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Mon Oct 4 16:17:39 CEST 2010

Le 04/10/2010 11:58, Graeme Russ a écrit :
> On 04/10/10 19:28, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
>> Le 04/10/2010 09:27, Reinhard Meyer a écrit :
>>> Dear Albert ARIBAUD,

> Any reason to do it in assembler? Have a look at arch/i386/lib/board.c
> board_init_f() (especially if you apply my latest patch series)

The main reasons are that start.S is historically responsible for
setting up the C environment, and that only in assembly language can you
ensure that no nasty relocation fixup is going to be required by the
code that is precisely supposed to do the fixing up. Now it may be
possible to do the fixups in C on ARM; that'll be a second step IMO.

> Hmm, for x86 they are all type 8 (R_386_RELATIVE) which are a simple Base +
> Addend (B + A) entries
>
> Type 23 is R_ARM_RELATIVE which are also B + A (although they can also by S
> + A whatever that means)

23 is program base relative -- basically, subtract link-time image base
address, add run-time image base address and you're set.

> Removing fixups - sweet, oh so sweet ;)

Apparently sweetness is not far away, see below. :)

> Also non type-8 for x86 - If all arches reduce down to a single relocation
> type in .rel.dyn then we can ignore the type and simply strip all the
> 'type' fields.

Can't reduce to a single relocation type as produced by the linker,
because references to linker-file-generated symbols seem to always be
symbol-relative, not program-relative, even under -pie. This may be
something to ask on the binutils mailing list, though.

> [snip]
>>
>>> A rather wild, but quite arch independant additional "build stage" for
>>> relocation would be to link u-boot for two different TEXT_BASE values
>>> e.g. TEXT_BASE (as desired) and TEXT_BASE+0x00010010. A special "diff"
>>> tool should find the 32 bit places where relocation is required and
>>> add a table to the end of u-boot.bin... (Just a rough idea)
>
> I don't think we need to - everything should be handled by .rel.dyn. I
> wrote a diff tool to do as you suggest, but I have no need for it now
>
> Looks like we could be onto a winner :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Graeme

At this point I have an ARM926, ELF-relocating, u-boot reaching prompt.

Environment is correctly read and can be modified (did not try saving
though).

Flash operations work (flinfo, erase, cp.b).

Ethernet does not work, however -- ping or tftp just wait without me
being able to ^C it. I'll look into that as soon as some domestic chores
are done. :)

Amicalement,
--
Albert.